If your favorite golden jewelry seen better days, you know you have to clean it properly to make it sparkle again.
The golden items are meaning of love, gifts, care, affection, warmth – especially if this Is from family or someone dear. It even has meaning if you bought it of your own first paycheck! It has emotions tied to it for sure.
With this value to it, you adore it of course. So you need to keep its best shape.
It takes time and money to get an expert to do this, so you might want to try your own methods, read them here.
The tarnish of gold is not like other metals and loses shine from dirt, wearing and dust too. use some chemicals and items to make it shiny. But, harsh cleaners might damage it and this is not good for pearl or opal soft stones. For them just use water and soap.
Here are the best 5 methods for cleaning.
- DIY cleaner– you need: aluminum wrap, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tbsp dish soap, 4 tbsp hot water. Line a bowl with the foil then add all items. Add the salt, soda and soap. Lastly add the hot water and liquid fizz. The soda, salt and aluminum make ion transfers and this cleans the metal. Add the jewelry in this for 10 min. clean and dry it so get an old toothbrush and scrub the item. Rinse and pat dry.
- Dish soap– this item loosens the debris and dirt and cleans the object of anything. Dilute the soap in a bowl. Add 3 tbsp warm water and mix gently. Soak the jewelry for 15 min. the soapy hot water will enter every crack and loosen the dirt. Scrub and clean and rinse. For this mix mild dish wash liquid and warm water. Get toothbrush and gently scrub again. Work every corner. Rinse and let it dry.
- Toothpaste– this acts as mild abrasive to loosen up grim with no scratching. Mix the water and toothpaste. Put a lot of water and make this mix thick. Use mild paste for this. The whitening pastes can be abrasive. The soak toothbrush in this and scrub the object. Rinse with water for residue.
- Beer– put the small amount beer in bowl and let the gold sink here for 5 min. get a toothbrush and scrub now. Work ends and cracks and rinse, then pat dry.
- Baking soda– this is alkaline in nature and reacts with acids, dust, dirt, makes bubbles of carbon dioxide and they are the ones that lean. Mix water and baking soda 1 tbsp. use 2 tbsp water. Make a paste and get a toothbrush to soak it in this. Scrub the jewelry gently and rinse, pat dry.
- Never use boiling water for precious stones. Opals can be fragile and crack easily to hot and cold.
- Never use stiff bristle brushes for gold. The stiff bristles remove yellow golden shine! Use the softest brush there is
- When you rinse the gold in a sink, cover the drain to prevent losing this! Get pasta strainer for best use or coffee filter!
- Air dry jewelry before you wear it. Wet jewelry can keep moisture trapped and make skin irritations.
- Avoid paper towel cleaning since it has fibers that might damage metals.
Cleaning gold- summary