Breast cancer is one of the most common cancer among women. It is treatable if it is discovered in the early stages. Usually there is a lump in the breast but we must also pay attention to other early symptoms.
Breast cancer numbers
- It is a second leading cause of death due to cancer among women.
- 246,660 women every year are diagnosed with breast cancer and 40,000 of them lose their life.
- In every 8 women one will be diagnosed with cancer once in her life.
- 2,600 men are also diagnosed with breast cancer and 400 per year lose their life.
- In the USA these are around 3 million breast cancer survivors.
You must notice the early signs of breast cancer as well as moles new or existing one. Visit your doctor if you notice that.
Pain and ache in the breast area
Not always there is a noticeable lump in the breast, therefore, you must pay attention if you experience some new occasional pain or discomfort. So if you experience a pain in your breast for a while visit your doctor.
An annoying cough and hoarse throat
In many of the breast cancer cases the cancer spreads to the lungs and you will experience a hoarse throat and persistent coughing. If a cough doesn’t stop for a longer period of time visit the doctor.
Unexplained tiredness and fatigue
These are symptoms of many different conditions and cancer makes chemical imbalance in the human body and there is a lack of minerals, vitamins, and chemicals. This causes tiredness and fatigue. If your experience these symptoms the best thing to do is to visit the doctor.
You must notice if there is a change in your nipples like:
- Sore, scaly, and itchy nipple
- Sudden nipple discharge
- Pulling in of the nipple
Irregular bladder movement
Women who have breast cancer have a change in their chemical and hormonal imbalance and irregular bladder movements occur due to this imbalance. They need to urinate more often and longer.
The tumors in the breasts put pressure on the spine and the back and women often experience upper back pain. If you have a strange pain in the upper back for a longer period visit your doctor.
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Veins on the breast that are visible
- Vaginal pain
- The skin has a texture like orange peel
- Enlargement of the breast
- Weight loss
- Dimpling of the surface of the breast
Types of breast cancer
- Noninvasive cancer, stage 0 (hasn’t spread from the original tissue).
- Invasive cancer, stage 1,2,3,4 (has spread to the surrounding).
- Sarcoma: it is in the connective tissue (rare)
- Ductal carcinoma: it is formed in the lining of the milk ducts (most common)
- Lobular carcinoma: in the lobules (where the milk is produced)
Breast cancer in men
Breast cancer is common in the women but men are at risk too. Men should also do regular checks and pay attention to these changes:
- Nipple discharge
- The breast tissue thickens
- Swelling and redness
- Lump in the breast